Thursday, March 20, 2008

Redondo Beach

The whale-watching was slow on a recent visit to Palos Verdes, so I left early and decided to check out Redondo Beach on my way home. King Harbor is the home of the Redondo Beach Pier, which is a grand, semi-circular pier that has many stores, restaurants, and even an arcade with skee-ball! (I also discovered skee-ball at the famous Santa Monica Pier, so I've been busily honing my long-dormant but not-forgotten skee-ball skills. :)

I really like the Redondo Beach Pier because it feels more down-to-earth than many of the other LA beach spots (i.e., not as touristy or "upscale"). Lots of seemingly local, blue-collar folks, families with kids, etc. On the lower level, I discovered a store (gotta love their sign!) that sells a staggering variety of live seafood items. The store had row after row of salt water tanks filled with all sorts of odd creatures that (apparently) people buy for food. They had a zillion kinds of oysters and clams, as well as many other types of unusual shellfish and mollusks, some of which I had no idea that people ate! (Well, people who aren't stranded on a desert island...)

Pictures are here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ellen -- Glad to hear you are continuing your skee-ball adventures.

Yes, I do love the sign :-)

This made me laugh:
"with all sorts of odd creatures that (apparently) people buy for food."

Jan